You'll learn to:
* Describe the carpentry trade; and,
* Practice good work habits.
Use Safe Work Practices
* Describe shop and site safety practices;
* Describe personal safety practices;
* Identify precautions when working with hazardous materials;
* Describe general safety rules for using hand tools;
* Use basic body mechanics when lifting or moving objects; and,
* Extinguish small fires.
Interpret Drawings and Specifications
* Read residential drawings;
* Sketch and draw simple details;
* Interpret specific information from the BC Building Code; and,
* Estimate material quantities and identify construction details.
* Describe wood characteristics;
* Select framing and finishing lumber;
* Select panel products;
* Select fasteners, adhesives and caulking compounds; and,
* Select finish and framing hardware.
Use Hand Tools
* Describe measuring and layout tools;
* Use and maintain cutting tools;
* Use and maintain edge-cutting tools;
* Use and maintain drilling and boring tools;
* Describe the use and maintenance of fastening tools;
* Describe the use and maintenance of miscellaneous tools; and,
* Use hand tools to construct a wood project.
Use Portable Power Tools
* Use and maintain portable power tools;
* Use and maintain power-actuated tools; and,
* Use and maintain chain saws.
Use Shop Equipment
* Use and maintain a table saw;
* Use and maintain a radial arm saw; and
* Use and maintain miscellaneous shop equipment.
Use Survey Instruments
* Use optical levels.
Use Site Layout
* Layout building locations;
* Use Concrete Formwork; and,
* Build footings and wall forms.
Frame Residential Housing
* Describe types of wood frame construction;
* Build foundations and floors;
* Build walls and partitions;
* Build gable roofs with ceiling joists;
* Build straight stairs; and,
* Build hip roofs.