Fashion Design - Specialization in Marketing
An ideal career path for the fashion-forward or trendsetting individual, the fashion industry is fast-paced and constantly evolving. If you’re looking to turn your keen eye for style into your dream job, VCAD’s Fashion Design - Specialization in Marketing program will help you refine your skills in garment creation and branding strategies.
In the first five terms, you’ll gain a thorough understanding of the practical and technical skills involved in pattern making, garment construction, and apparel production. The last two terms will focus on marketing, business, and fashion show production — including staging and marketing a runway show.
By the end of the program, you will have created a professional portfolio that highlights your unique ideas and concepts, and will help you apply for positions in apparel design, product development, retail management, visual display, and much more.
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Apply knowledge and skills resulting from the study of modern fashion illustration, fashion design, design concepts and techniques in the creation of original garments that exceed industry design and quality standards
- Understand the relationship between fashion illustration, apparel design and product development and be able to communicate effectively design ideas between various manufacturing, marketing and merchandising components of the industry
- Construct and analyze garments so as to comment on the quality of construction, efficacy of the design, finishing techniques, and price point
- Analyze different classifications of apparel: men’s, women’s and children’s and discount in regard to price points, fit, construction and the market
- Understand the product development, apparel production, and textile life cycles in the context of their impact on design, merchandising and marketing
- Describe the importance of fashion forecasting, on the design, marketing and merchandising of apparel
- Develop a portfolio containing original design work, flats and specifications, photographs, a promotional kit and a final
- themed collection consisting of at least four original garments
- Describe and demonstrate the role of target marketing, market segmentation, and niche markets in the effective placement of sales product
- Articulate the role of branding and private labels in generating sales
- Describe the role of costing and merchandise management on ROI
- Source, negotiate and select fashion show venues
- Schedule, budget and coordinate a runway production
- And more!