Introduction to Photography
Black and White
Landscape and Meaning
Creating a Visual Language
Portfolio and promotion:
Promoting Yourself as a Photographer
How Will You Benefit?
* Fast track your career in photography
* Learn the inside secrets of how to become a pro in months not years!
* Study a photography course that was designed in conjunction with the photography industry
* Free up valuable time, don't waste time and money travelling to classes
* Study at your own pace whenever and wherever you are
* Have access to a tutor who works in the industry you are training for
* Easy interest free payment plans from as low as £25 per week
* Exciting, diverse projects
* Meet interesting people from all walks of life
* Travel opportunities
Start reaping the benefits by enrolling today!
One of the most exciting aspects of photography is the variety of jobs available in the field, ranging from highly specialized, technical work to jobs that require creativity.
As a graduate of photography you will find yourself in such areas as:
* Press photography (also known as news photojournalism)
* Feature photography
* Editorial photography
* Commercial / Industrial photography
* Portrait / wedding photography
* Advertising photography
* Fashion photography
* Digital photography
* Nature and Wildlife Photography
* Forensic Photography
* Freelancing photographer.
Here are some reasons why photography may be just the career your looking for:
1. Photographers Can Earn High Profits
Do you know that photographers make very good money? The 2009 minimum rates for freelance photographers, as approved by the Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance, are as follows:
These are just minimum rates set by the Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance. A photographer can charge as much as their clients are willing to pay. You can charge from £500 to £2,000 for a wedding, £377 a day (or more) for commercial (business) photography, and £500 a day for portrait photography. How many people do you personally know who earn between £500 and £2,000 a day?
Rate By Time Rate By Photograph
Per day £393.00 Cover Photo £351.00
Half day (2/3 day rate) £261.00 Full Page Photo £196.00
Per hour £98.00 Half Page Photo £133.00
Research (per hour) £74.00 Single Column Photo £93.00
2. A Photography Business Has Low Start-up Costs
All you need to start is a basic camera with manual controls (film or digital) that you probably already own, could easily buy (new or second hand), or could borrow or hire. You also need a phone and some basic office stationery. You don't need your own studio or darkroom. Studios and darkrooms are available for hire, if or when you need them, and you can bill the hire costs straight back to your client.
3. You Can Work From Home
You don't need a shop front to be a professional photographer. You can run your business from a spare room or even from your kitchen table. You can easily mix a home-based photography business with study, raising a family, or a full-time or part-time job.
4. You'll Be Your Own Boss
Imagine it. You're the boss. All the profits belong to you. You set your prices, your hours, your work schedule and your assignments. There's no limit to your income apart from your time and how much effort you put into it. You can work part-time, full-time or as many hours as you like. The choice is yours.
5. Your Photos Will Enjoy A Large Demand
There is a huge, worldwide demand for good photographs. Companies are outsourcing all their non-core functions, and they can't afford to employ permanent, in-house photographers. Instead, they hire professional photographers as needed. The market for photographers keeps on growing.
Good photographers are in very high demand and customers will continually search for your services. Good photographers can “pick and choose” their jobs. They might refuse a 1-day, £2,000 wedding assignment. They'll just say, “Sorry, but I don't do weddings”. Imagine that? When was the last time you refused a 1-day, £2,000 job? Imagine being in a position like that? You can take photographs for:
Advertising Agencies Galleries Regional Newspapers
Magazines Graphic Designers Shops and Restaurants
Book Publishers International Magazines Sports Organisations
Businesses (Small, Medium and Large) Journals Stock Libraries
Clubs And Associations Local Newspapers Travel And Tourism Industry
Christenings Parties And Functions Web Designers and Web Sites
Engagements Photo Libraries Weddings
Family and Pet Portraits Postcard and calendar publishers 100s more!
6. You'll Meet Lots Of Interesting People
You can rub elbows with the rich, the famous and the powerful: fashion models, actors, actresses, local and international celebrities, successful business people, politicians and authors. Photography provides instant introductions to very powerful and influential people. Being a photographer opens doors. Imagine the interesting stories you could share with friends, family, or people you meet socially. Or, if you like meeting ordinary people, then you can specialize in portrait, wedding and function photography.
7. Photography Offers An Amazing Amount Of Variety
Let's face it. Most jobs are boring. You do the same old thing every day, every week, every month, every year. You look forward to holidays just so you can do something different. Something interesting. Photography offers a huge amount of variety. In the morning, you could be photographing food for a shop or a restaurant. In the afternoon, you could be photographing a basketball game. And the next day, you could be photographing a wedding or a function. Photography makes every other job look outright dull and boring.
8. You'll Enjoy Prestige And Respect
Television and movies present photographers as attractive, admired, smart men and women living adventurous, glamorous and exciting lives. Photographers are respected for their high level of artistic skill and technical knowledge. If anyone asks you what you do for a living, you can answer with confidence, “I'm a professional photographer”. People will assume you're smart, wealthy, and highly creative.
9. Photography Offers An Equal Opportunity Playing Field
It doesn't matter how old you are. It doesn't matter what sex you are. It doesn't matter what race you are. It doesn't matter what you look like. It doesn't matter what jobs you've had in the past. There are no formal educational requirements for becoming a professional photographer. There are no formal licensing requirements for opening a photography business. It's open to anyone with ambition and a desire to be successful.
10. Photography Is Relatively Easy Work
A common belief is that photographers need to shoot absolutely stunning, artistic, prize-winning photographs to make good money. This is not true. Your photographs must be very good, but they don't need to be absolutely perfect. And it's not hard, backbreaking work either. All that's involved is the ability to communicate with people and take good photographs. What a job!
Model / Glamour photography
Travel and tourism photography
Product and advertising photography
Course Levels Explained / Prerequisites
This course leads to the awarding of either a Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma depending on which level you enrol at. The different levels are achieved by the amount of course content and assessments involved within each module at the basic (Certificate), intermediate (Diploma) and advanced (Advanced Diploma) levels. You will be able to learn about what the difference is between the three levels below:
1. Certificate: represents a basic level of operational knowledge with general knowledge. Suitable for basic entry level positions.
2. Diploma: qualifications recognises the graduates capacity for initiative and judgment across a broad range of technical and management functions. Diploma holders typically have personal responsibility and autonomy (semi-independence) in performing technical operations or organising others in the workplace.
3. Advanced Diploma: The graduate is able to apply a significant range of principles and techniques across various contexts and functions. Graduates can expect to be involved in significant judgments, planning, and leadership/guidance functions related to workplace products, services, operations or procedures.
There are NO previous work or education requirements for entry into any course level. Students may enrol directly into the diploma or advanced diploma levels without completing lower ranked qualifications. Graduates can expect higher course levels to result in higher potential salary, positions and skill capabilities.
The average time within which students complete studies is:
* Certificate Level - 14 weeks,
* Diploma Level - 24 weeks,
* Advanced Diploma Level - 31 weeks.
ICI courses allow you to study at your own pace with no assignment deadlines. This means that you determine the pace of the course and within which time period you will ultimately complete your studies in.
* Completing your course with ICI is flexible as you can fast-track and graduate in a matter of months. You complete activities and submit assignments whenever you are ready.
* The maximum time given to complete a program is three years.
Study Mode : Distance Learning
This entire course is carried out via Distance Learning (also known as correspondence learning). Distance learning is ideal if you need to adapt around work, family, or other commitments. It is also extremely beneficial should you simply wish to fast track your studies (and career) and not be locked into a timetable.
Our course content and learning experience ensure that your course is relevant and interesting. Learning, tutorial assistance, assessments takes place whenever and wherever you are in the country or world. It takes place at your own pace on your own terms to fit your lifestyle. As an ICI student, you’ll never endure a pop quiz, spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars travelling, and never be late with an assignment or for class.
Enrolments statistics reveal that students from the following categories are currently taking advantage of the distance learning experience at ICI:
* Government, business & industry employers 32%
* High school leavers 20%
* Individuals looking to start a business or change career paths 18%
* Individuals already in the industry looking to formalise and/or update knowledge and seek a promotion 11%
* Military personal 11%
* Stay at home mothers 8%
Recognition & Accreditation
This course is recognised and accredited by the International Association of Private Career Colleges (IAPCC). The courses offered by ICI are unique as they take a very "hands on" approach. Our courses are not designed to teach you just the "theory" behind the industry - they are written and tutored by industry professionals and will fast-track you into a new career of your choice.
Various government departments and business's have enrolled their own staff with ICI for further training and development and is a strong indicator of acceptance and recognition by employers and industry.
The following is a partial list of companies and government departments which have enrolled staff into ICI courses:
* Ministry of Defence,
* Navman Technologies,
* Colliers International,
* Mitsubishi Corporation,
* Pearson Education,
* Royal Mail
* Brookfield Multiplex,
* British Airways,
* Barclays Bank,
* HSBC Bank
* American Express,
* Workplace Authority,
* Centacare Employment Group,
* MAX Employment,
* Employment Directions Network,
* Calvin Klein,
* Coca-Cola Amitil,
* and many more...
Already in the Profession or Industry?
This course and qualification is a great way of consolidating existing knowledge via Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), updating your industry skills and contributing towards your professional development. It is also one of the most practical steps you can take towards working towards gaining a promotion or better paid position.
Course fees can be claimed as a tax deduction as long as the course is sufficiently connected to your work activities.
What Do I Get?
All materials essential for course completion are included in the cost of the course fee. Upon enrolment, students receive:
* All required study materials and course notes
* Practical assignment projects with constructive tutor feedback
* Industry based tutor who will service all of your course and career questions and guidance needs
* UNESCO endorsed Student ID card giving students access to thousands of discounts both at home and overseas! Save on transport, accommodation, communications, food, shopping, movies and more!
On successful completion of the course you will receive:
* A graduation certificate officially recognizing your successful completion of studies and qualifications as a photographer
* Transcripts indicating units completed
* Letter of recommendation and validation for current and future employers
* Post-nominal letters placed after your name which indicate that you hold the relevant qualification. For example: John Smith, DipPhotog
* Job search assistance: Graduate Career Services Program