Introduction to Interior Design and Decoration
What is interior design?, Interior Design History, Interior Design vs Interior Decoration?, Introduction to Elements of Design, Principles of Design, Workplace Design with Colour and Light, Developing a Colour Scheme.
Elements and Principles of Design
Elements of Design: Line, Pattern, Texture, Colour, Area, Shape, Form and Space.
Principles of Design: Discord and Variety, Harmony and Unity, Contrast and Emphasis, Rhythm, Repetition and Radiation, Proportion, Gradation and Alternation, Balance.
Elements of a Decoration Plan
Functional and Decorative Use of Colour
Colour Planning: Function of the Area, Existing Furniture and Furnishings, the Style of Décor, Aspect and Natural Lighting, Spatial Relationships, Personal Taste, Colour Psychology, Floor Coverings, Window Treatments, Furniture.
Lighting Effects on Colour
Decorating With Light: Incandescent, Fluorescent, Metal Halide, High Pressure Sodium, Mercury Vapour, Tungsten, Tungsten Halogen.
Planning a Harmonious Decorative Colour Scheme for a Client
Planning a Harmonious Decorative Scheme, The Process of Planning, the Beginning of Your Decoration Plan, Notes From Client Briefing, Results of the Client Briefing, Displaying or Presenting Your Proposal, Types of Visuals, Measured Survey, Schedule of Materials.
Light and Colour I
Introduction to the Science of Light and Colour, The Luminous Environment, The Nature of Colour
Light and Colour II
Colour and Emotion, Colour Preferences, Colour and Light, Optical Effects, Colour Schemes, Applying Colour.
Light and Colour III
Colour and Emotion, Colour Preferences, Colour and Light, Optical Effects, Colour Schemes, Applying Colour.
Colonial, Country, Eclectic, Modern, Neo-Classical, Victorian, Other Decorating Styles
How to Decorate (Step by Step)
How to: Undertake Space Planning, Determining the Best Layout, Choose a Colour Scheme, Determine Flooring Requirements, Select Wall Treatments, Determine Lighting Requirements, Complete any Repairs or Renovations, Select Furnishings, Choose Window Coverings, Arrange the Furniture, Accessorize, Evaluate the Decorating
Building Systems and Components
Architectural, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical
Primary Interior Finish Materials: Concrete, Masonry, Stone, Metals, Wood, Plastic, Glass, Wall Board, Tile, Terrazzo, Acoustic Ceiling systems, Resilient Flooring, Carpet, Paint and Other Film-Applied Finishes, Wall covering, Fabric and Textiles
Furniture, Window Treatment, Signage/Graphics, Accessories, Art, Plants
Design and Maintenance
Job Seeking Skills
Getting Hired: Job Hunting Materials, Your Portfolio, Your Resume and Cover Letter, Locating Jobs, Advertised Positions, Unadvertised Positions, Who Employs Interior Decorators, Discussing Salary
Starting Your Own Interior Design Business
How to: Start Your Interior Design Business, How to Build Your Portfolio, What you’ll need, Retail / Wholesale Supplies, Choosing Target Markets, Getting Clients, How to Price Jobs, Managing Clients, Working with Suppliers and Contractors
How Will You Benefit?
* Fast track your career in Interior Decoration & Design
* Learn the inside secrets on how to become an interior decoration & design pro in months not years!
* Study an Interior Decoration & Design course that was designed in conjunction with the Interior Decoration & Design industry
* Free up valuable time, don't waste time and money travelling to classes
* Study at your own pace whenever and wherever you are
* Have access to a tutor who works in the industry you are training for
* Easy interest free payment plans from as low as £25 per week
* Exciting, diverse projects
Start reaping the benefits by enrolling today!
Imagine having a rewarding, high-paying job that lets you use your creativity to make homes and businesses more beautiful, comfortable and effective.
There are few jobs that offer so many benefits. As an interior designer and decorator (also known as an interior architect) you will have the satisfaction of making your vision a reality.
If you start your own interior design and decorating business you will enjoy the freedom of being your own boss and could earn $100,000 or more per year. And perhaps most importantly your interior design and decorating "work" will be fun, interesting, and personally rewarding.
Interior design decorators are more in demand than ever before. Most are hired to design and decorate either homes or corporate offices.
Here are just a few of the types of businesses that need interior designers and decorators:
* Advertising agencies
* Art galleries
* Bed and breakfasts
* Boutique stores
* Corporate head offices
* Hotels Law firms
* Model homes for home builders
* Museum stores
* Public relations firms
* Many other types of businesses from doctors' offices to luxury car dealerships
Course Levels Explained / Prerequisites
This course leads to the awarding of either a Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma depending on which level you enrol at. The different levels are achieved by the amount of course content and assessments involved within each module at the basic (Certificate), intermediate (Diploma) and advanced (Advanced Diploma) levels. You will be able to learn about what the difference is between the three levels below:
1. Certificate: represents a basic level of operational knowledge with general knowledge. Suitable for basic entry level positions.
2. Diploma: qualifications recognises the graduates capacity for initiative and judgment across a broad range of technical and management functions. Diploma holders typically have personal responsibility and autonomy (semi-independence) in performing technical operations or organising others in the workplace.
3. Advanced Diploma: The graduate is able to apply a significant range of principles and techniques across various contexts and functions. Graduates can expect to be involved in significant judgments, planning, and leadership/guidance functions related to workplace products, services, operations or procedures.
There are NO previous work or education requirements for entry into any course level. Students may enrol directly into the diploma or advanced diploma levels without completing lower ranked qualifications. Graduates can expect higher course levels to result in higher potential salary, positions and skill capabilities.
The average time within which students complete studies is:
* Certificate Level - 14 weeks,
* Diploma Level - 24 weeks,
* Advanced Diploma Level - 31 weeks.
ICI courses allow you to study at your own pace with no assignment deadlines. This means that you determine the pace of the course and within which time period you will ultimately complete your studies in.
* Completing your course with ICI is flexible as you can fast-track and graduate in a matter of months. You complete activities and submit assignments whenever you are ready.
* The maximum time given to complete a program is three years.
Study Mode : Distance Learning
This entire course is carried out via Distance Learning (also known as correspondence learning). Distance learning is ideal if you need to adapt around work, family, or other commitments. It is also extremely beneficial should you simply wish to fast track your studies (and career) and not be locked into a timetable.
Our course content and learning experience ensure that your course is relevant and interesting. Learning, tutorial assistance, assessments takes place whenever and wherever you are in the country or world. It takes place at your own pace on your own terms to fit your lifestyle. As an ICI student, you’ll never endure a pop quiz, spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars travelling, and never be late with an assignment or for class.
Enrolments statistics reveal that students from the following categories are currently taking advantage of the distance learning experience at ICI:
* Government, business & industry employers 32%
* High school leavers 20%
* Individuals looking to start a business or change career paths 18%
* Individuals already in the industry looking to formalise and/or update knowledge and seek a promotion 11%
* Military personal 11%
* Stay at home mothers 8%
Recognition & Accreditation
This course is recognised and accredited by the International Association of Private Career Colleges (IAPCC). The courses offered by ICI are unique as they take a very "hands on" approach. Our courses are not designed to teach you just the "theory" behind the industry - they are written and tutored by industry professionals and will fast-track you into a new career of your choice.
Various government departments and business's have enrolled their own staff with ICI for further training and development and is a strong indicator of acceptance and recognition by employers and industry.
The following is a partial list of companies and government departments which have enrolled staff into ICI courses:
* Ministry of Defence,
* Navman Technologies,
* Colliers International,
* Mitsubishi Corporation,
* Pearson Education,
* Royal Mail
* Brookfield Multiplex,
* British Airways,
* Barclays Bank,
* HSBC Bank
* American Express,
* Workplace Authority,
* Centacare Employment Group,
* MAX Employment,
* Employment Directions Network,
* Calvin Klein,
* Coca-Cola Amitil,
* and many more...
Already in the Profession or Industry?
This course and qualification is a great way of consolidating existing knowledge via Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), updating your industry skills and contributing towards your professional development. It is also one of the most practical steps you can take towards working towards gaining a promotion or better paid position.
Course fees can be claimed as a tax deduction as long as the course is sufficiently connected to your work activities.
What Do I Get?
All materials essential for course completion are included in the cost of the course fee. Upon enrolment, students receive:
* All required study materials and course notes
* Practical assignment projects with constructive tutor feedback
* Industry based tutor who will service all of your course and career questions and guidance needs
* UNESCO endorsed Student ID card giving students access to thousands of discounts both at home and overseas! Save on transport, accommodation, communications, food, shopping, movies and more!
On successful completion of the course you will receive:
* A graduation certificate officially recognizing your successful completion of studies and qualifications as an interior decorator and designer
* Transcripts indicating units completed
* Letter of recommendation and validation for current and future employers
* Post-nominal letters placed after your name which indicate that you hold the relevant qualification. For example: John Smith, DipIDD
* Job search assistance: Graduate Career Services Program