Three core modules are pre-requisites to commencing the Gerontology modules. These include:
* Anatomy and Physiology (optional)
* Health Assessment "bridging module" (or an approved course in Health Assessment)
* Health Promotion/ Teaching Learning
Modules One to Five:
Module One - Introduction to Gerontology
Module Two - Physiological Changes of Aging
Module Three - Psychosocial Aspects of Aging
Module Four - Special Considerations of the Older Person - Includes eight identified content areas specific to the older person, i.e. nutrition, drugs and drug compliance, sexuality, abuse, etc.
Module Five - Nursing Practice and the Elderly
Upon successful completion of the theoretical component of the program, a clinical component is required. For the clinical component of this course, there are 2 possible options:
1. Those learners with no previous clinical experience in gerontological nursing will be required to complete a 3-4 week preceptored clinical experience.
2. Learners with experience in gerontological nursing will complete 2 clinical assignments.