Comments about Ecotourism Ontario College Certificate - At the institution - North Bay - Ontario
As a student in Canadore’s eight-month Ecotourism certificate program you will acquire the skills and knowledge that will prepare you for an exciting and rewarding career. Students receive 400 hours of classroom theory and 200 hours of hands-on training and practical experiences. A few program highlights are: canoe tripping, hiking, snowshoeing, dog sledding, and participating in a variety of workshops including: search and rescue training, camping skills, cross country skiing, nature identification, earth science, native customs and traditions, and outdoor games and activities.
Field trips are an important program feature and typically include visits to the Canadian Ecology Centre, Smoothwater Resort and Ecolodge, North Bay Canoe and Kayak, Science North, Eau Claire Gorge, and Wolf Within Adventures etc.
Ecotourism Ontario College Certificate
• CMM 125 College Communications
• PSY 100 Foundations in Psychology
• REC 105 Leadership & Program Planning
• REC 108 Intro Recreation/Leisure Serv.
• REC 109 Concepts/Principles Ecotourism
• REC 218 Marketing Recreation & Leisure
• REC 128 Sports and Special Events
• REC 130 Legislation & Risk Management
• REC 131 Ecotourism Programming
• REC 230 Financial Management
• REC 252 Practicum-Ecotourism
• SOC 100 Foundations of Sociology
Note: Students must have appropriate clothing, hiking boots, and personal equipment (backpack, sleeping bag, etc.) to participate in outdoor activities throughout the year. Some agencies may require a police check for program practicum.
Students will receive certification in a nationally recognized GPS training course.
The program curriculum is designed to offer students the opportunity to obtain an Ecotourism Certificate and a related recreation diploma within two years. Ecotourism graduates are eligible to transfer directly into Year II of any of these diploma programs:
* Recreation & Leisure Services
* Recreation Therapy
* Sport Conditioning